The battle with cancer is one of the fights that humans are yet to win. Over all these years, scientists and doctors have researched a lot about cancer, and the advancements in the treatment have resulted in saving millions of lives. Cancer hospitals in India have managed to save many people from losing their lives to this deadly disease. Discussed below are a few ways in which you can protect yourself from getting cancer.
Avoid Tobacco-Based Products
Consumption of any tobacco-based product is one of the leading causes of cancer. Various studies have proved that tobacco consumption is directly related to cancer of the lungs, mouth, larynx, throat, bladder, cervix, pancreas, and kidney. Both smoking and chewing tobacco can lead to various types of cancer. Even if you are not a direct consumer of tobacco, second-hand smoke can also increase the risk of developing lung cancer.
One of the biggest problems with smoking is that nicotine present in tobacco makes this habit almost impossible to get rid of. This is why most people find it excruciating to quit smoking. The first step to quitting smoking is to acknowledge the problem and avoid it at any cost.
Maintaining a healthy diet is an ideal way to prevent any disease. Here are a few tips to take care of your diet.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight- It is essential to maintain a healthy weight as obesity is one of the most significant contributors to cancer development.
- Eat Fruits and Vegetables- No processed food can get you the nutrition your body requires as fruits and vegetables do. It is also imperative to consume green leaves regularly.
- Avoid Alcohol- The amount of alcohol you consume can directly affect the chances of getting breast, colon, lung, kidney, and liver cancer. So, avoid alcohol or at least try to consume a moderate amount.
- Avoid Processed Meat- A research has found out that eating a large amount of processed meat increases the chances of cancer in an individual.
Be Physically Fit and Active
Being fit reduces your chances of developing cancer and helps you prevent a vast number of diseases. Maintaining a healthy weight will reduce the chances of getting breast, prostate, lung, colon, and kidney cancer.
If you don’t have time to go to the gym due to your busy schedule, all you need to do is stay active throughout the day. Instead of sitting on a chair in front of your laptop for hours, take brisk walks at regular intervals.
Adopting healthy habits like taking stairs instead of an elevator or taking a brisk walk after every meal can make a huge difference. Even if you don’t find joy in these things, do them to avoid getting diseases like cancer.
Protect Yourself from the Sun
Skin cancer is also one of the types of this deadly disease, which is caused mainly due to over-exposure to harmful sun rays. Here are a few tips to prevent skin cancer:
- Avoid Direct Sun Rays- The best way is to avoid getting in contact with direct sun rays, especially during hot afternoons. However, limited exposure to sun rays early in the morning can get you your daily dose of Vitamin D.
- Cover Yourself- If you have to go out in the sun during hot summer days, make sure you cover yourself with a cloth, hat, cap, scarf, or anything that covers your face.
- Use Sunscreen Lotions- When you have no choice but to go outside, make sure you apply a thick coat of sunscreen 20 minutes before going out.
- Stay in Shade- Shady places are your best bet. Stay in the shade as much as possible.
Get Screened Regularly
Most people sleep on this tip, and by the time they get to know about their condition, it is already too late. This is why it is imperative to undergo complete body check-ups at the best cancer hospitals in India at least once a year, even if you don’t experience symptoms. Ensure cancer screenings are also a part of this healthcare package.
Following the tips mentioned above religiously can reduce the chances of cancer. We hope you never have to go through the pain of suffering from cancer.