With the simplified eligibility requirements and documentation norms for home loans, accessibility to the advance has only increased in the past few years. It has become plausible to arrange the documents required for a home loan well before applying to enjoy streamlined loan processing.
- Owing to the ease of home loan accessibility, affordable housing finance companies are expected to attain a growth rate of 12% to 15% in 2022.
Nonetheless, knowing the complete list of the documents required is extremely crucial to ensure a hassle-free application process. Note that while identity documents remain the same for all individuals, documents required as income proof can differ depending on one’s employment profile, i.e., salaried or self-employed.
Complete List of Documents Required for Housing Finance :
The document requirement is based on the home loan eligibility criteria laid down by the selected lender. The following is a standard list of all the documents you would usually require to avail the credits.
A) Proof of identity
- PAN card
- Aadhaar card
- Voter ID card
- Driving License
- Any other government-issued identity proof with name and photograph
B) Proof of address
- Any of the above documents carrying a permanent address
- Receipt of property tax
- Receipt of water tax
- Electricity bill
- Post-paid mobile bill
- Telephone bill
- Any other government-issued document carrying full permanent address
C) Documents of property ownership
- Allotment letter, sales deed, or stamped sale agreement
- Builder or housing society issued No Objection Certificate
- Receipt of land tax payment issued by authorized local body
- Possession certificate
- Estimated construction cost details
- Occupancy certificate for properties ready to move in
- Payment receipt or bank account statement documenting payment made to builder or seller
One also needs to provide passport-sized photographs along with the filled-in application form with accurate details to apply for a home loan. These were the common documents required to avail of a home loan. Now, take a look at the income and financial documents that salaried and self-employed applicants need to provide separately.
Income and Financial Documents Required for a Home Loan – Self-employed :
i) Financial statements
- Balance Sheet
- Profit & Loss Statement
- Cash flow statement
ii) Bank account statement
- For the previous 6 months immediately preceding application
iii) Proof of business existence
- Incorporation certificate
- Partnership deed
- Trade license
- GST registration certificate
- PAN card
- Memorandum of Association/Article of Association
- ROC registration certificate
- Import Export code
- SEBI registration certificate
iv) Income Tax Return
- For the previous 2 years
Income Documents for a Home Loan – Salaried :
i) Income Tax Return
- For the previous year
ii) Bank account statements
- For 3 months immediately preceding application
iii) Proof of Income
- Form 16
- Latest salary slips
Note that your documents submitted as income proof also impact your home loan interest rate, determining affordability.
Along with these documents required for a home loan, you must also check and fulfill the eligibility criteria laid down by your selected lender. Use a home loan eligibility calculator to estimate the maximum loan amount available as per your age, income, and other eligibility parameters, and apply accordingly.
Reputed lenders make financing more convenient and less time-consuming with their pre-approved offers available on home loans, loans against property, and other financial products. Provide only your name and contact number to check your pre-approved offer before applying.
You must also estimate your home loan EMIs before applying for the advance to assess affordability. Make sure to plan repayment of your housing loan avail ensure convenient and unburdened management of the loan over its tenor. Existing borrowers can also check the documents required for a home loan balance transfer if planning to refinance their housing advance. Since documentation is one of the primary requisites to availing the advance, prospective borrowers must take note of them well before initiating the application process.